Technology for Educational Innovation from MetaLogic,
Please contact us for more information.
MetaCat® Features and Requirements
MetaCat® is a new technology solution for 21 st century Information Management with superior flexibility, scalability, and security for unlimited data, content, and metadata management. Administrative users can dynamically add new databases, data elements, and controlled vocabularies at any time.
MetaCat® Architecture and System Components
- Operates as data, media, and metadata management system
- Supports unlimited hierarchical object/metadata types
- Sophisticated data management functions, handles complex taxonomies
- MetaCat Java/XML-based application Server (runs on Windows, Linux, Solaris, and Macintosh OSX operating systems)
- Very fine-grained security
- Very large data base model – scalable, flexible, extensible - requires relational database (such as MS SQL Server, Oracle, DB2)
- High-function graphical user interface client for data and security administration (Java) – (multi-windowed, drag-drop, point-click operation)
- Easy Web Authoring for simple and quick media upload and cataloging
- Web presentation player (PC, Mac, IE, Firefox, Netscape, Safari supported)
- Teachers can create and maintain their own presentations
- Can embed links to presentations in web pages, or access from a custom site
- Presentations can be shared, with permissions granted by the owner
- Hierarchical, role-based authorizations determine who can access which system features and which data elements.
- Powerful 128-bit encryption, certified by Thawte, protects users and tests
Professional Media and Metadata management:
Document and Digital Asset Management:
- High-function, cross-platform Java Client for sophisticated data entry and formatting
- Upload desired media (graphics, flash animations, audio, etc.) Desired media requires appropriate browser plug-ins for web delivery.
- Secure, multi-level workflow and signoff processes
- Full edit history tracking – can see date/time and user of all changes
- Real-time indexing
- Sophisticated, hierarchical metadata management
- Ability to dynamically add unlimited new data fields and controlled vocabulary by administrative users with appropriate permissions and allow these to be used as searchable and reporting fields.
Software and Hardware System Requirements:
- Real-time, XML-based, enterprise content management
- Unlimited collections and media objects
- Supports openURL and OAI
- Unlimited hierarchically-structured metadata
- Full-text and boolean searches on any parameter and across collections
- Style sheets customize the look and feel
- Import/export any data via XML or CSV
- Fine-grained security to the data element
- Basic web-based application and also high-function,
data management tools in administration console
Supported Server Operating Systems: MetaCat 2.0 is software written with the Java language. To run a Java application it is required that the host computer have the Java Runtime Environment (JRE) installed. Specifically, MetaCat 2.0 requires that JRE version 1.4.1 or newer is installed. To download and install the newest JRE, visit http://www.java.sun.com. Common operating systems supported by the JRE are listed below.
MetaCat server software is downloadable from web, installs in minutes and offers automatic upgrades for $0-cost maintenance
- Windows NT 4.0 / 98 SE or later.
- For Windows NT 4.0, Service Pack 6a or above is required.
- For Windows 2000, Service Pack 3 or above is required
- For Windows XP, Service Pack 1 or above is required
- Mac OS X: OS upgrade to version 10.2.3 is required
- Linux/Unix: Any distribution that supports JRE 1.4.1 or later
Requires Supported Database Software:
- Microsoft SQL Server
- PostgreSQL (open-source)
- HSQL (100% Java open-source)
- MySQL (open-source)
Server Hardware Requirements:
- Minimum Hardware: At minimum the host system should have atleast a Pentium 2 - 300 MHz processor, and have 128 MB of RAM. The host system should have 10 MB of hard disk space available for MetaCat install files, and sufficient space for the collection media that is being hosted. A fast hard drive improves performance.
- Recommended Hardware: To run the MetaCat server efficiently it is recommended that the host system have a processor that is 1 GHz or faster, and at least 512 MB of RAM.
- The high function Java client and/or the high stakes testing client requires a one-time download and installation of the Java Runtime Environment (JRE). MetaCat client software is downloadable from the web, installs in mintues and offers automatic upgrades for $0-cost maintenance
- Supports most browsers. Supported Browser Details
MetaCat® is a registered trademark of MetaLogic, Inc.